Friday, September 09, 2005

Closer to an-all Java Desktop Dream

Tracking back to the my post regarding JDistro and other Swing developments, again, I see yet another compelling reason for me to convince my PHBs about decommisioning some, if not much, of our approach to User Interfaces. I really do believe that our DHTML-based approach will not scale and is not nimble and fast enough for mission-critical projects that we usually do.

Presenting to you, Flying Saucer, the latest of my Swing-based craze. This renders XHTML and CSS contents. Talk about RSS-fed blog-craze nowadays. The good thing with Flying Saucer is that it will allow close interaction and inter-operation of ultra-thin content with rich applications with Swing. With a rich-client based on Java, your application can be more adaptive to any standards: HTTP, WebServices, object serialization, RMI, etc. You can also treat your application in a cross-channel mode: standalone, as an applet, or as a WebStart service. Name it, you have it.

Now, let me collate some more and perhaps soon, we'll start our projects on a new user interface framework. That's all for now.

richard@work

No comments: