Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Swing, Synthetica and Matisse

Javasoft Software Engineering release of new Swing look and feel is another plus to Swing. The new look and feel really are miles away from the usual Metal or Motif look. However, I got the sense of the Synthetica l&f as too Windows-XP-esque while the Blackstar reminds me of the soon to be released Windows Vista. However, regardless of its Windowish experience, I still feel that they could be the best and business-presentable Swing l&f ever.

Have you seen NetBeans 4.2 alpha sources lately. It has the new fabled Matisse. Don't know what Matisse is, kindly check on NetBeans site.

When I say I like Swing does not mean I love GUIs. I am still the text-based, CLI, server-side maniac. Why I promote Swing is because IMHO, HTML cannot scale to the needs of mission-critical over-the-internet/intranet applications. Yes, we have the AJAX approach but, AJAX has its flaws, one of them is performance. Couple your souped-up net-enabled Swing-based application with Java WebStart and your ready to go. One tough nut to crack compared to HTML over HTTP.

richard@work

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is creative Keep up the great work. This may be of interest to you; how to buy & sell everything, like temporary tattoo on interest free credit; pay whenever you want.