Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Play With My FreeSBIE

A nice-to-try come true!

I have always wanted to try out FreeBSD without dropping my existing setup of dual-booting WindozeXP and FC3. I have heard so much of BSD that I really want to try true-blue Unix in my box. OpenSolaris maybe? Nope, OpenSolaris is still a no-go for me. Wait for Mac OSXi? Too long... My solution: FreeSBIE!

FreeSBIE allows me to take a look at FreeBSD without having to actually install it in my HDD. It is like Knoppix (Linux). Developed by Gruppo Utentia FreeBSD Italia, it is a live CD based on the FreeBSD operating system.

The current version 1.1 is based on FreeBSD version 5.3.

All 610MB of FreeSBIE 1.1 ISO can be downloaded from an FTP mirror or via BitTorrent. Currently two platforms are supported: AMD64 and i386. 2 thumbs up for this!

No comments: