Thursday, June 30, 2005

Sun Laptop Delight

Surprise, surprise! Damn, I am really surprised! I never thought that an enterprise platform provider like Sun will be entering the mobile workstation market (layman: laptop). Sun has recently unveiled its first mobile computer, the Sun Ultra 3 Mobile Workstation. The machine's CPU will be, of course the default, Sun's Sparc microprocessor.

The Sun Ultra 3 Mobile Workstations promises to deliver the same performance as its server-bound, blade-based siblings in a laptop form factor. With the Solaris 10 OS (ehem, OpenSolaris) and a range of 64-Bit UltraSPARC processors, graphics options, 802.11b wireless networking, 15-and 17in. SXGA+ TFT LCD displays, Integrated Gigabit (10/100/1000Base-T) Ethernet, the Sun Ultra 3 Mobile Workstations should deliver workstation class performance anywhere a you might go. This laptop on steriods is offered with either a 550MHz or 650MHz UltraSPARC IIi processor or 1.28GHz UltraSPARC IIIi processor and can take up to 2GB of RAM.

Sun Java Desktop System also comes pre-installed, along with StarOffice 7.0 or GNOME 2.0 Environment.

This is the laptop that I wish I have. Only if these parameters are met:
1. Lower SPARC CPU price, hence, lower laptop price
2. Normal Linux/BSD binaries to run seamlessly and transparently on the SPARC/Solaris platform
3. A gamut of software suites. Those that you can typically find in a WinTel machine.

Probably, this laptop will just be for sysads only.

For me, I'll stick with my trusty IBM X23 loaded with Fedora Core 3 and, unfortunately, Windows XP Professional till my HDD crashes on me.

No comments: