Friday, July 01, 2005

Ahh! Exactly What My Rumblings Are!

Excerpt of a letter published by Philippine Star publications.

Just a nice piece that I can't help but mirror the post in this site.

All rights are reserved by philstar.com

God Bless the Filipino Nation!

=========

What truth?
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
The Freeman 07/01/2005

Here we go again. The dumb politicians are once more holding the whole nation hostage. In the past several days, the likes of Sen. Nene Pimentel, Congressmen Francis Escudero and Jacinto Paras, whose ability to speak his mind in fluent English is, by the way, no better than a grade school student, are again posturing at the expense of the Filipino people. This time their alibi is the truth.

Exactly what truth are you trying to find out, sir? Eh, umamin na nga ang Presidente! Ano pa ba ang gusto nyo? If you think the President has committed a crime or an impeachable offense, then please file the appropriate actions and shut up! Stop holding press conferences or appearing on television to air your grievances because the media is not the proper forum for it. Being members of the law-making body, you're supposed to know that. You're supposed to use the legal framework that Congress itself has created. You should be the first to follow the law.

The trouble with these politicians and those calling for a leadership change is that they don't know their action is bleeding the country dry. Mga bobo kasi. They're not only insensitive, they are ignorant of the sufferings of ordinary men like me.

I bet my last pair of socks that you, Congressman Escudero, don't even know the simplest needs of the common tao. Or that you and your fellow useless politicians are so stupid to know that your calls for GMA's resignation is, in fact, the reason why the stock market is down and the exchange rate up. Heck, I seriously doubt you can stipulate the effects of a fluctuating peso, let alone know what a Moody's "downgrade" is. Mga bobo kasi.

I challenge you Congressman Escudero to take a one-year leave of absence from Congress to take a job in the private sector and live off the salary of a daily-wage earner. Isama mo pa si Susan Roces at saka si Bro. Eddie Villanueva. I can guarantee all of you: You will not last 30 days before calling it quits!

Now, if you're not willing to come out of your comfort zone, then I challenge you to a debate - to prove to our countrymen that you're all stupid. Don't be intimidated: I am just an ordinary workingman and not connected to any group that can tutor me about policy issues.

It's so easy for you to hostage the economy because you know your Congressman's salary is assured for the next three years. I challenge you to stop living off the taxes of the Filipino people or the tithes and offerings of your members!

The other night Susan Roces' apo declared to the media that what her lola is doing will benefit the Filipino people. Are you nuts? What do you know about our plight here in the Philippines? What do you know about the effects your lola's speech will have on the economy? You're living in the US for Pete's sake! Before you open your mouth, try living here first and enroll at a public school with insufficient number of books!

It's so unfair that a few dumb politicians and reckless individuals have the power to bring down the whole country. Doubly unfair that Cebuanos like me suffer for the stupid decisions made by the horde of uneducated people in Manila.

I studied hard - heck, even worked to pay for my last year - in college to be where I am now. I pity the employees of foreign-owned companies like me, who are now in danger of losing their jobs because of the uncertainty now besetting the nation.

The Filipino people deserve better. Kung hindi pa nyo nalalaman, tapos na po ang election. It's time to move on. Congress has better things to do than to meddle in governance. Congress and the Arroyo administration must work together to cut the deficit now, keep the exchange rate stable and the inflation rate in check.

Simple lang ang kailangan ng bawat Pilipino -- ang mabuhay ng maayos. I do not aspire to run for Congress or lead a congregation and live off the tithes and offerings of my flock. I just want to live a comfortable, if not decent, life.

Truth has no profound meaning to me if I lose my job and sleep with an empty stomach.
Larri-Nil G. Veloso G/F Pelaez Bldg. A.S. Fortuna St. Brgy. Bakilid Mandaue City 6014

No comments: