Monday, July 18, 2005

Eclipse and CVS

Is it me or is it something else? I recently filed for a CVS cleanup of my project at sourceforge. I had to clean the CVS up because it contained a lot of nasty entries in it. The culprit: Eclipse IDE. I have been using Eclipse for a long time now but it is my first time to use the CVS (team) integration. Setting up is just fine. But the behavior isn't. It is really a complicated and screwed manner how Eclipse synchronized with the CVS repo. I ended up mis-commiting files, auto-created unwanted and temporary directories and for every re-start or refresh of the my workspace, the CVS directories gets added to the repository too, as a normal development directory. And it becomes a bloody headache and viscious cycle. I have asked sourceforce to delete the whole repository and for me to start fresh. Though I love Eclipse so much, it is still lacking or faulty at somethings. For me, I am back to old-school usage of either a CVS GUI or the the CLI CVS client itself (through SSH).

So for those who are committers to a live CVS repository, check twice in using Eclipse IDE.

Just a simple experience and lessons from Luke.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must be something wrong about you. I've been using Eclipse with CVS without any issues even with prrojects hosted on Sourceforge. I guess it is more matter of the accuracy when committing to CVS and managing your .cvsignore files. I'd suggest to use Synchronize view all the time. This will make more obvious what are you actually commiting.

Richard said...

> It must be something wrong about you.

Yeah. I guess so. But with my working pattern and inexperience with Eclipse's team synchronization, I'd better be careful and use the old stuff. I'll revisit the facility once I have set up my own test CVS server and re-try and correct my mistakes.