Monday, July 04, 2005

CV How To

I have been in the I.T. industry for a long time now. 8 years. 2 years more and I am certified out-of-youth. Now that my priorities in life is shifting, I am again on the drawing boards to draft my CV/Resume after a long long time. To my recollection, here is my history:

College time, I already created my first CV to apply for on-the-job training jobs on some companies. First, I worked at Magent. It is management company that globally sees into GMA7 and all its sister companies. My tasks were not satisfying (ie not intelectually yummy), so I resigned. And besides, we are forced to join a prayer meeting on friday afternoons. I am a Roman Catholic and I resent being forced into someone else's faith.

Then I went into this, now defunct, company called InfoLand International. It was owned by my cousin. I went there and do whatever I wanted. Thinker with hardware, use some of their software and did an advanced self-study on future subjects in College. Still I got bored. But since, it is my cousin's company, we doctored my timesheet and was scot-free in no time. I just spent the rest of the summer wandering everywhere, visiting BBSes and sleeping at home.

Before graduating, I already got a job. This time, at Compass Internet. I was an account executive there. This is a position for sales ala technical support. Again, I didn't submit a resume. I walked in, talked to the manager. Talked about my school. Talked about my championship in a national Assembly Language competition, talked about my credentials in school and that was it. I technically had my last summer only for a day. I graduated April 30, I reported to work on May 2. Why didn't come to work at May 1? Because it is labor day.

After one and half months of wrangling to customers and prospects, I applied for a job in System Access Philippines. This time, I think (as I can recall) I didn't pass any CV either. I just filled in some form, did an exam on a thursday. I went back on a friday afternoon for interview on short notice. People got impressed and behold, I was destined to join the company on the coming monday. So, saturday was my de-facto last day with Compass. Come monday, I went AWOL.

Then I got sent to System Access Singapore (early part of the year 2000). While I was here, I was furiously head-hunted by a US company. I even had an interview with one of their top guy. Forgot the name but their base is in Boston, MA. This time, I sent my CV. I went for an online Java exam with a prometric center that they chose. Guess what, I was informed that I broke their highest score record. To make the story short, I declined. I thought I was too young to head to the US.

I got absorbed by the Singapore Office. And here I am now, typing this blog.

The bottomline is that I got a very few occasions wherein I needed to create or update my Resume. Now, I am at lost on how to create a killer-CV, the one that will put a companies jaw to touch the ground. Well, how do I really create one?

No comments: