Monday, July 11, 2005

Back to Roots

It has been years since I last worked with C. Back in college days, C replaced assembly as my most-loved, most desired language. It is really impractical to do all your programming in assembly if your application resides in the userland. When I was just starting my career, I also worked in C. This time, no more hanky-panky stuff. This time it is live data we're talking of. What I did less-than-a-decade back were communication and resource management programs. It was quite a feat, especially being sent to a foreign country where it is I alone can save or ruin the day's work.

I talked to a colleague this morning and discussed some integration issues with a client. C programs will be used for this. Though, personally, I will not do the work, it sparked some old fire, that is, the C hacker in me. I have experienced C in Win16, Win32, DOS, and in Unix environments. I'd like to augment my expert (ehem, hehehe) Java skills with a renewed vigor in C. Hope I find time in studying C.

The C programming language is a standardized programming language developed in the early 1970s for use on the Unix OS. It has since spread to many other platforms, and is one of the most widely used programming languages. C is famous for its efficiency, and is the most popular programming language for writing system software, though it is also used for writing applications. It is also commonly used in computer science education, despite not being designed for novices.

How about C++? Forget it, I already have Java...

No comments: